The fox squirrel, named for its fox-like tail, is a charismatic mammal approximately
twice the size of the common gray squirrel. The coloration of the fox squirrel is
highly variable, ranging from a creamy tan to all black. In Florida, the fox squirrel
can be found in almost every county, but the distribution is patchy and not well
understood. For more information about fox squirrels in Florida, click here:
FWC Fox Squirrel
The purpose of this survey is to understand the current distribution of fox squirrel
in Florida on a landscape level. The last distribution survey was completed in 1997
and much has changed in Florida since that time. Information provided by this survey
will be used to create a statewide fox squirrel distribution map. This survey is
part of a research project through the University of Florida. If you have any questions
or are willing to share your fox squirrel photos, email Elina Garrison at
To submit a fox squirrel sighting:
Thank you very much for your participation in this survey, without the help of everyone throughout the great state of Florida, data collected in this survey would not be possible.
- Use the Google map application below to position your recent sighting location as well as the date of the sighting.
- Please be as specific as possible when selecting the location by zooming in as far as possible to select your location.
- Indicate if you are a professional (biologist, natural resource professional, forester, professor, etc) or general public category to provide further information concerning benefits of citizen based science.
- Your name, organization and email address are optional.
NOTICE: The University of Florida is requesting samples of road kill fox
squirrels in Florida to research their genetics. Contact Dan Greene (UF) email@example.com if you discover a road
kill fox squirrel and are willing to participate in the collection effort. Participants should either take a
GPS location or record an address for any squirrel collected.
- Marker indicates the current coordinates.
- To modify coordinates zoom and drag the marker to the desired location.
- Complete the date, Organization and/or user name, contact email, upload one or two photos if you have them, then press
Do you represent a:
Allowed files - .pdf,.jpg,.jpeg,.png,.tif,.gif: