• Eastern chipmunks (Tamias striatus) are listed as a Species of Special Concern
in Florida, and are known locally as ground squirrels.
• Information on current distribution and abundance are lacking.
• Your observations can help FWC biologists to evaluate the conservation needs of
chipmunks and develop a management plan for keeping their populations healthy.
• Chipmunks are active during the day and can be seen foraging on the forest floor,
in back yards or perched on logs or rocks.
• Chipmunks have reddish-brown fur with alternating light and dark stripes along
How to Contribute:
• Use the Google Maps tool to mark the location where a chipmunk was observed.
• More recent sightings (within the past year) are preferred, but older sightings (regardless of year) are appreciated as well. If a sighting is not recent, please remember to put the correct year and month if possible.
• Please zoom in as far as possible when selecting a location.
• Observer name, email address and organization are optional.
• Additional comments, questions or pictures can be sent to Chris Winchester(Chris.Winchester@MyFWC.com).
Thank you very much for your participation in this survey, your contributions to this effort are invaluable!